The host city reported a record rise of Covid-19 infections this week and is on the brink of declaring a state of emergency.
But in their new year messages, the two figures with the power to cancel the Games moved to quell concerns.
Japan’s prime minister and the IOC president insist the Olympics will go ahead next summer
Japanese prime minister Yoshihide Suga said: ‘This summer, we will hold the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, which are a symbol of world unity. We will make steady preparations to realise a safe and secure event.’
IOC president Thomas Bach added: ‘Tokyo is still the best prepared Olympic city ever. We thank our Japanese partners for their great commitment and their determination to organise these Games in a safe and secure way.’
Japan prime minister Yoshihide Suga says the Games will take place despite rising cases while IOC chief Thomas Bach (R) stressed Tokyo is ‘still the best prepared Olympic city ever’
Meanwhile, British athletes have been promised that taking the Covid-19 vaccine will not cause them to fail a drugs test.
Sportsmail revealed last month that competitors feared they may have to choose between going to the Olympics or risking serious illness if jabs were not cleared by anti-doping regulators.
However, the World Anti-Doping Agency declared on Friday that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine has a ‘not prohibited’ status.
Use of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is also permitted.
Source: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk