Greater Sydney residents will have to wear masks inside or face a $200 fine as the state recorded another seven new locally-acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday.

Five of the new cases are linked to the Berala cluster in western Sydney, one is a household contact of a previously reported case – a patient transport worker – and there is one remaining case under investigation.  

There were almost 32,000 coronavirus tests conducted in the 24-hour period to 8pm on Friday. 

Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced masks will be compulsory in certain indoor settings from midnight on Saturday.  

This includes shopping centres, entertainment venues like the cinema, hair and beauty salons, on public transport, in places of worship, and gaming areas of establishments. Hospitality workers will also be required to wear masks. 

Greater Sydney residents will be hit with a $200 fine from Monday if they fail to follow the mandate.     

Greater Sydney residents will have to wear masks inside or face a $200 fine as the state recorded another seven new locally-acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday. A woman wears a face mask as she walks along Market Street in Sydney's CBD amid the latest coronavirus outbreak

Greater Sydney residents will have to wear masks inside or face a $200 fine as the state recorded another seven new locally-acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday. A woman wears a face mask as she walks along Market Street in Sydney's CBD amid the latest coronavirus outbreak

Greater Sydney residents will have to wear masks inside or face a $200 fine as the state recorded another seven new locally-acquired coronavirus cases on Saturday. A woman wears a face mask as she walks along Market Street in Sydney’s CBD amid the latest coronavirus outbreak

Face masks will be mandatory on public transport (pictured) and other indoor venues from midnight on Saturday

Face masks will be mandatory on public transport (pictured) and other indoor venues from midnight on Saturday

Face masks will be mandatory on public transport (pictured) and other indoor venues from midnight on Saturday

Guests at weddings, funerals and places of worship have been reduced to 100 and are subject to the four square metre rule. Pictured: A couple get married during the coronavirus pandemic in Sydney in March

Guests at weddings, funerals and places of worship have been reduced to 100 and are subject to the four square metre rule. Pictured: A couple get married during the coronavirus pandemic in Sydney in March

Guests at weddings, funerals and places of worship have been reduced to 100 and are subject to the four square metre rule. Pictured: A couple get married during the coronavirus pandemic in Sydney in March 

Ms Berejiklian said the tightened restrictions around masks should not come as a surprise to Greater Sydney residents.  

‘We have already strongly wanted people to wear a mask but we do not want to restrict people’s ability to go about business,’ she said.

‘We want to increase economic activity and mask wearing in these settings will ensure we have the confidence to do that.’ 

The premier also announced stay-at-home restrictions for the southern zone of the Northern Beaches would conclude and the area would now be treated the same as Greater Sydney. 

Premier Gladys Berejiklian also announced gym classes will be slashed from 50 to 30

Premier Gladys Berejiklian also announced gym classes will be slashed from 50 to 30

Premier Gladys Berejiklian also announced gym classes will be slashed from 50 to 30

The stay-at-home orders applying to residents north of the Narrabeen Bridge will continue until at least January 9. The latest coronavirus outbreak first emerged in Avalon. 

Gym classes have also been slashed from 50 to 30, while guests at weddings, funerals and places of worship have been reduced to 100 and are subject to the four square metre rule.

Ms Berejiklian said the changes are being introduced to avoid a ‘super spreading event’. 

Performances are being reduced from 1000 attendees to 500 and outdoor public events are down to 2000. 

NSW Health officials, police and event organisers will conduct a ‘walk-through’ at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday, where they will go over a Covid safe plan for the upcoming Test match between India and Australia.    

Ms Berejiklian said the tightened restrictions around masks should not come as a surprise to Greater Sydney residents

Ms Berejiklian said the tightened restrictions around masks should not come as a surprise to Greater Sydney residents

Ms Berejiklian said the tightened restrictions around masks should not come as a surprise to Greater Sydney residents

Funerals will be capped to 100 attendees in Greater Sydney. They are also subject to the four square metre rule

Funerals will be capped to 100 attendees in Greater Sydney. They are also subject to the four square metre rule

Funerals will be capped to 100 attendees in Greater Sydney. They are also subject to the four square metre rule

The latest announcements do not yet affect regional NSW, however Ms Berejiklian encouraged the entire state to act in a Covid safe manner. 

Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said there have been a number of western Sydney venues exposed to coronavirus which causes ‘concern’.

Dr Chant said there are potential transmission risks at the BWS in Berala.  

Anyone who visited the liquor store between Tuesday December 22 and Thursday December 31 inclusive is advised to check the NSW government website for the exposure dates and times.  

There are also fresh alerts for an Officeworks in Punchbowl, in Sydney’s south-west, and the Australian merchant traders on Haberfield Road in the inner west.  

LATEST NSW VENUES ON ALERT 

Culture Kings, George St, Sydney between 1-2pm on Monday December 28 

Great Southern Hotel in Eden, on December 30 between 5-6.30pm  

Bermi’s Beachside Cafe in Bermagui, on December 31 between 9-10am

Berala BWS, on December 22 between 2.45pm- 9.15pm, December 23 between 12.45pm – 9.15pm, December 27 between 12.45pm-8.15pm, December 29, 1.45pm – 9.15pm, December 30, 12.45pm – 9.15pm and December 31 between 8.30am – 5pm 

Berala BWS December 24 between 12.45pm – 9.15pm, December 26 between 9.55am – 9.15pm and December 28 between 8.30am – 7.15pm 

<!—->Advertisement
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian is pictured at her daily coronavirus update on New Year's Day

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian is pictured at her daily coronavirus update on New Year's Day

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian is pictured at her daily coronavirus update on New Year’s Day

On Friday, NSW Health reported three locally acquired cases – all in western Sydney. 

Two cases – a man in his 40s and a man in his 20s – are under investigation after 32,000 people came forward for testing in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday.

The third case, a man in his 20s, is a close household contact of one of the other two men.

Sydney’s mysterious coronavirus outbreak first appeared on the Northern Beaches in Avalon more than two weeks ago. 

A health worker conducts a Covid-19 test in Five Dock, Sydney's inner west, after coronavirus cases emerged in nearby Croydon

A health worker conducts a Covid-19 test in Five Dock, Sydney's inner west, after coronavirus cases emerged in nearby Croydon

A health worker conducts a Covid-19 test in Five Dock, Sydney’s inner west, after coronavirus cases emerged in nearby Croydon

Since then, clusters have popped up in Wollongong and Sydney’s inner west at Croydon, but both have now been linked to the original Avalon cluster. 

The western Sydney infections prompted health authorities to urge residents in the Greystanes, Auburn, Berala and Lidcombe areas to watch out for symptoms following the latest infections.   

Also on Friday, Dr Chant announced two infected Victorians visited several venues in Eden and Bermagui on the NSW far south coast on Wednesday and Thursday. 

New Year's Eve celebrations in Sydney were subdued with vantage points closed off to keep the public away. Pictured are diners in East Circular Quay on Thursday night

New Year's Eve celebrations in Sydney were subdued with vantage points closed off to keep the public away. Pictured are diners in East Circular Quay on Thursday night

New Year’s Eve celebrations in Sydney were subdued with vantage points closed off to keep the public away. Pictured are diners in East Circular Quay on Thursday night

An urgent alert has been issued for anyone who was at The Swallowed Anchor in Wollongong on December 19 after infected cases from both the Croydon and Wollongong clusters attended the tapas and wine bar.

Anyone who attended the venue anytime that day is ordered to get tested and self-isolate until further notice. 

Other new venues added to the list include a BWS and a Thai restaurant in Berala, along with a Bunnings and tile shop in Smithfield in Sydney’s south-west.

Anyone who visited the Culture Kings store on George St in the Sydney CBD between 1-2pm on Monday December 28 is also advised to watch for symptoms and get tested if they appear.  

The venue was visited by a confirmed coronavirus case.

While many Sydneysiders spent a quiet New Year's Eve at home, some revellers (pictured) hit the town to celebrate a 2020 most of us would rather forget

While many Sydneysiders spent a quiet New Year's Eve at home, some revellers (pictured) hit the town to celebrate a 2020 most of us would rather forget

While many Sydneysiders spent a quiet New Year’s Eve at home, some revellers (pictured) hit the town to celebrate a 2020 most of us would rather forget

Eden and Bermagui are also on high alert after the two infected Melburnians visited the region.

The pair ate at the Great Southern Hotel in Eden on Wednesday from 5pm to 6.30pm and also at Bermi’s Beachside Cafe in Bermagui on Thursday 9am-10am.

‘It is important if you are hearing this and you know anybody within the Bermagui area that you reach out to them and make sure that they are aware of the situation,’ Dr Chant said. 

‘We understand that there may be a lot of visitors who have travelled to that part over the festive season.’ 

The visiting Melburnians are close contacts of a case linked to a Thai restaurant in Black Rock in the city’s bayside region.

The Swallowed Anchor (pictured) in Wollongong was visited by an infected patron on December 19

The Swallowed Anchor (pictured) in Wollongong was visited by an infected patron on December 19

The Swallowed Anchor (pictured) in Wollongong was visited by an infected patron on December 19

Victoria reported ten new cases of Covid-19 community transmission on Saturday.  

The ten new cases recorded in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday are all linked to the Black Rock restaurant cluster, with an additional two cases being the pair that travelled to NSW and returned to quarantine in Victoria.

The Victorian outbreak has been directly linked to the NSW cluster revealed in genetic testing results on Saturday.

Victoria shut out travellers from NSW at 11.59pm on January 1.  

The state announced its decision on Thursday, prompting two days of disruption and upset plans as Victorians holidaying in NSW rushed to get home. 

The hard border brings to an end a confusing progression of lesser border restrictions Victoria had been making since the lead-up to Christmas. 

Health Minister Martin Foley made no apologies for closing the border to its neighbouring state and said it was based on public health advice.

He says it has caused widespread disruption for returning travellers and will continue to do so for the border communities.

‘I acknowledge the significant disruption and the significant implications that that has made,’ Mr Foley said on Saturday.

He said it had become a significant issue for Victoria with 29 active cases now in isolation across the state.

The two Victorians visited the Great Southern Hotel in Eden, in the southern region of NSW, on Wednesday from 5pm to 6.30pm

The two Victorians visited the Great Southern Hotel in Eden, in the southern region of NSW, on Wednesday from 5pm to 6.30pm

The two Victorians visited the Great Southern Hotel in Eden, in the southern region of NSW, on Wednesday from 5pm to 6.30pm

The pair then ate at Bermi's Beachside Cafe in Bermagui from about 9am to 10am on Thursday

The pair then ate at Bermi's Beachside Cafe in Bermagui from about 9am to 10am on Thursday

The pair then ate at Bermi’s Beachside Cafe in Bermagui from about 9am to 10am on Thursday

The ACT has also moved to tighten its border with NSW.

Anyone travelling to the ACT from a Covid-19 hotspot in NSW will now require an exemption.

People from Sydney’s Northern Beaches, Greater Sydney, the Central Coast and Wollongong will not be legally permitted to enter the ACT without a valid pass.

The updated health direction will come into effect from midday on Saturday and any non-compliance will result in penalties, the ACT government says. 

Any travellers from these regions into the ACT for ‘extraordinary circumstances’ are required to apply for an exemption at least three days prior to the planned entry but no more than 14 days ahead of time.

These changes do not affect current restrictions for ACT residents returning from Covid-19-declared areas, whereby until at least January 6 authorities must be notified followed by a mandatory quarantine for 14 days.

More than 32,000 NSW residents came forward for testing on Thursday. Pictured is the long queue at a testing clinic in Five Dock in Sydney's inner-west on Wednesday

More than 32,000 NSW residents came forward for testing on Thursday. Pictured is the long queue at a testing clinic in Five Dock in Sydney's inner-west on Wednesday

More than 32,000 NSW residents came forward for testing on Thursday. Pictured is the long queue at a testing clinic in Five Dock in Sydney’s inner-west on Wednesday

COVID TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS FOR NEW SOUTH WALES

  • Western Australia – All NSW residents are banned from entering WA. Anyone who enters the state will be ‘sent back’, according to Premier Mark McGowan. 
  • Victoria – A hard border has been put up, with the entire state of NSW declared a red zone. If people cross into Victoria before 11.59pm on New Year’s Eve, they must self- isolate until they test negative. If they enter before 11.59pm on New Year’s Day, they must self-isolate for 14 days regardless of test results. If they cross into the state after January 1, they must spend two weeks in mandatory hotel quarantine.
  • Northern Territory – The state has declared greater metropolitan Sydney as a Covid-19 hotspot, and travellers will need to undergo 14 days of supervised quarantine.
  • South Australia – Harder border closure to all NSW residents from midnight on New Year’s Eve. Returning South Australians must quarantine for 14 days. A 100km border buffer zone, including Broken Hill and Wentworth, will be exempt.
  • Queensland – Queensland has shut its borders to Greater Sydney, Wollongong and the Central Coast. Locals returning to the Sunshine State from a hotspot must isolate. 
  • ACT – Anyone travelling to the ACT from a Covid-19 hotspot in NSW will now require an exemption. People from Sydney’s Northern Beaches, Greater Sydney, the Central Coast and Wollongong will not be legally permitted to enter the ACT without a valid pass from midday on Saturday January 2.
  • Tasmania – Northern Beaches residents banned. All people from Greater Sydney must also quarantine upon entry.  
<!—->Advertisement

Source: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You May Also Like

TikToker enlisted by White House to promote Biden’s administration reveals he got DEATH THREATS

A TikToker who was enlisted by the White House to promote Biden’s…