Burritos have become the unlikely source of an investigation as students from Northwestern University experience a norovirus outbreak.
The event, in collaboration with Big Wig Tacos & Burritos, took place last Saturday from 1pm to 8pm.
By Monday, Evanston Health and Human Services Department was awash with claims of students having stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea after consuming the burritos.
The department said in a statement: “[We’ve begun] an immediate and thorough inspection of the food establishment.”
During their investigation, the department says they found an employee health policy and reviewed cleaning and sanitising procedures.
Big Wig Tacos & Burritos said it is cooperating fully with the investigation. They said in a statement: “While there have been reported cases, we are not certain the outbreak originated at our restaurant.
“Prior to the event, the Evanston Health Department completed a routine health inspection and found no issues with our establishment.
“Nevertheless, we are taking immediate and comprehensive measures to address the situation. We are taking extra steps to thoroughly clean and sanitize, with a particular focus on areas that me susceptible for the transmission of the virus.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the norovirus is highly contagious and affects people of all ages. It causes vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and stomach pain.
A person typically develops symptoms 12 to 48 hours after being exposed to the virus, and typically begins to feel better in one to three days.
The CDC advises washing your hands and rinsing fruits and vegetables to best prevent catching the virus.
Post source: Daily Express