The Suffolk County police commissioner in New York says investigators are now looking into additional sex worker killings to determine if they are linked with accused Long Island serial killer suspect, Rex Heuermann.
Pix 11 reports that Commissioner Rodney Harrison confirmed Wednesday that two detectives have been assigned to investigate unsolved sex worker murders in “New York City’s five boroughs,” after investigating cases out of Suffolk County.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Heuermann was arrested on July 13 for the deaths of three of the four women known collectively as the “Gilgo Four.” The bodies were found within days of each other on Gilgo Beach in December 2010. All four women were buried in burlap sacks.
Heuermann has been charged with six counts of murder in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, 24; Megan Waterman, 22; and Amber Lynn Costello, 27; and is the prime suspect in the death of 25-year-old Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Brainard-Barnes was abducted in 2007, Barthelemy in 2009, and Waterman and Costello in 2010.
Meanwhile, investigators in South Carolina are wrapping up the investigation into missing Sumter County woman, Julia Bean. Heuremann has not yet been named a suspect in her disappearance, but the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office said they’re hoping to make an announcement soon in connection with the case.
Heuermann pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in August. He remains behind bars at the Suffolk County Correctional Facility without bail.
Check back for updates.
Read More LISK Coverage Here
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Feature Photo: Rex Heuermann/Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office via AP]
Post source: Crime Online