17.7 C
London
Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Queen’s summer trip given go ahead following coronavirus fears

- Advertisement -

However, such fears have apparently been allayed, and the monarch, 94, with husband Prince Philip, 99, are believed to be due to jet over to Scotland’s Balmoral castle around the start of August, royal sources told the Sun.

Indeed, the government’s official travel advice, updated on June 24, states: “If visiting other parts of the UK – Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – you must adhere to the laws and guidance of the devolved administrations at all times”.

{%=o.title%}

However, guidelines do differ between England and Scotland, which makes the situation a little more confusing for the general population.

Using vague language, Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon has said regarding distance that “if the distance is so far that you would have to use someone else’s bathroom, then perhaps you shouldn’t be doing it”.

In any case, none of this is set to hinder Her Majesty’s summer plans. She and Prince Philip may stay in Balmoral for up to three months, once Covid-19 restrictions regarding ‘shielding’ are lifted at the start of August.

A royal source told the Sun that “everything will be checked and double-checked to ensure there is no risk”.

Queen smiling

The Queen usually goes to Balmoral every year. (Image: Samir Hussein / WireImage / Getty)

The annual trip to Balmoral is an annual staple for the Queen. Throughout her reign, the Queen has aimed to spend several weeks there every year.

The Queen’s Scottish holiday home was first purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852, after the 19th century royal couple were struck by the natural beauty of the Highlands.

However, the castle that stands there now is not the original one. The original was not deemed large enough for the royals to occupy, so William Smith, City Architect of Aberdeen, was commissioned to construct a new one nearby.

Once this new castle was completed, the old one was destroyed.

READ: Football fans honour Queen in hilarious way during Millwall draw with Swansea

balmoral castle

Balmoral Castle is currently closed to visitors due to the Covid-19 pandemic. (Image: Tim Graham Photo Library / Getty)

Visits to Balmoral are usually open to the public from April, though this year this is not the case, understandably.

The April reopening of Balmoral Castle is currently delayed – it’s not clear when this might change.

Through the Covid-19 lockdown so far, the Queen and Duke have spent their weeks isolating in Windsor Castle.

While Her Majesty’s Balmoral plans seem to have been spared interruption from lockdown measures (as things stand), other aspects of royal life have not.

DON’T MISS:
Why does the Queen always wear gloves? [INSIGHT]
Queen and Donald Trump phone call: What did the Queen tell Trump? [INSIGHT]
Former royal chef shares hilarious moment with Queen [REPORT]

queen birthday gun salute

Gun salutes are usually done to celebrate the Queen’s birthday, such as here in 2010. (Image: Max Mumby / Indigo / Getty)

For instance, both the Queen and Prince Philip celebrated their birthdays in low-key style this year, with the usual celebrations not going ahead.

For example, Buckingham Palace confirmed ahead of the Queen’s birthday in April that there would be not gun salutes to mark the event.

It’s thought that it was the first time in the Queen’s entire 68-year reign that the occasion was not marked by such a salute.

Similarly, the public Trooping the Colour parade – which marks the Queen other ‘official’ birthday in June did not go ahead.

Prince Philip and Queen standing together

The Queen and Prince Philip are currently isolating in Windsor Castle. (Image: Tim Graham / Getty)

Although reportedly, a private ceremony in Windsor Castle did go ahead.

Meanwhile, the Queen held a phone call with US President Donald Trump yesterday, according to the Royal Family’s Twitter account.

It came ahead of the US Independence Day celebrations, due to take place July 4.

Daily Express

- Advertisement -

Latest news

Russia to start designing Vostochny spaceport infrastructure for crewed launches – Science & Space

MOSCOW, July 15. /TASS/. Russia will start work in early 2021 to design ground infrastructure for launching cosmonauts from the Vostochny spaceport, Deputy...
- Advertisement -

Are stage 4 lockdown restrictions coming to Victoria? | Australia news

As Victoria grapples with more than 200 new Covid-19 cases each day, questions are being asked of the premier, Daniel Andrews, and the...

Nevada governor accuses CCSD superintendent of lack of ‘honesty’

Clark County School District Superintendent Jesus Jara on Tuesday sidestepped an accusation by the governor and top state education official that he displayed...

Burwood house fire: Donations flood in for family grieving two children

More than $60,000 in donations have flooded in for the family who lost two children in a devastating house fire...

Why Sydney is doomed: SEVENTEEN venues shut down for cleaning after being exposed to coronavirus

Sydney's coronavirus outbreak has now resulted in the closure of 17 venues as the deadly disease continues to spread after first cropping up at...

What kind of face mask gives the best protection against coronavirus? | World news

Does it matter what sort of mask you wear? Yes. Different types of mask offer different levels of protection. Surgical grade N95 respirators offer...

Related news

Royal row: How Queen freed from HUGE controversy that haunted her for decades

However, the unearthed letters have finally proved she had no prior knowledge of the political move.More than 1,200 notes have been released following a...

Jim Carrey’s TV Show Kidding Canceled After Just Two Seasons – He Wants An Emmy

Page Six reported today that Jim Carrey’s comedy series, Kidding, has officially been taken off the air. The outlet spoke with insiders who...

Continue To Give Money To Your Ex Till She Becomes Stable And Finds A New Lover

ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian rapper, Erhiga Agarivbie popularly known as Erigga has ignited a debate on social media following his views on...

Queen invites Captain Tom Moore to Windsor Castle for emotional knighthood ceremony

The Queen is resuming her face-to-face engagements later this week, Buckingham Palace has confirmed. The monarch is to meet Captain Tom Moore and a...

Iggy Azalea Finally Reveals Her Baby Boy’s Unique Name!

Iggy Azalea managed to keep her whole pregnancy a secret and she was also planning on keeping the life of her baby boy...

Prediction for Harry and Meghan’s second child exposed: ‘Watch this space!’

Harry and Meghan are known to dote on their one-year-old son, Archie Harrison. Some commentators believe the couple decided to step back from the...

Selling Sunset’s Maya Vander Refused to Continue Filming at the Start of the Coronavirus Pandemic

- Advertisement - - Advertisement - God knows what selling sunset would be without Maya Vander. Maya refused to film scenes for selling sunset...

Tom Bergeron And Erin Andrews – The Network Seeks To Replace Them On DWTS With At Least A Black Host!

Now that Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews are no longer hosting Dancing with the Stars in the new season, reports say that the...

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: