Professional chef shows how to make a vegetable curry that will put your local Indian restaurant to shame
- UK chef Robbie Bell shared his curry recipe
- He uses roasted cauliflower and caramelised onions
A top chef has shared his delicious recipe for a ‘banging’ vegetable curry that tastes like it’s from an Indian restaurant.
Robbie Bell, from the UK, wowed foodies after he showed them how to make a vegetable curry with cauliflower, yellow split peas and a range of fragrant spices.
The chef made sure to toast his spices to bring out their flavour and added roasted cauliflower as well as sweet caramelised onions to the dish.
He portions out his spices including a generous pinch each of ground coriander, chilli power, mustard seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Robbie starts by toasting the mustard seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin seeds and curry leaves in a pan.
Scroll down for video
Professional chef Robbie Bell (pictured) has foodies’ mouths watering with his delicious recipe for a ‘banging’ vegetable curry
The chef made sure to toast his spices to bring out their flavour and added roasted cauliflower as well as sweet caramelised onions to the dish
He then adds a splash of oil as well as his dry powdered spices and lets them cook while he washes a chops up some coriander stalks.
‘Wash some coriander stalks and some fresh turmeric, get them in, cook them out and add a little bit of salt a little bit of pepper as always,’ he explained in a TikTok clip.
Robbie adds some dried yellow split peas and water to the pot, gives everything a stir and leaves it to cook.
He portions out his spices including a generous pinch each of ground coriander, chilli power, mustard seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin seeds and curry leaves
In a separate pan with a glug of oil, he starts caramelising some white sliced onions and roasts some cauliflower florets.
‘Slow cook your onions, add some garlic and ginger, once they’re nicely caramelised add that to the water cook that down,’ the cook said.
Once the water had reduced, Robbie adds a tin of coconut milk as well as his roasted cauliflower and some freshly chopped coriander.
His video racked up thousands of views and had user drooling over the mouthwatering recipe.
One viewer said they ‘loved’ the dish while another simply exclaimed ‘Yum!’ and a third recommended home cooks grind down the dry spices so they don’t ‘get a mouthful of hard bark’.
RECIPE: Cauliflower and yellow split pea vegetable curry
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 12 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbs cumin seeds
- Curry leaves
- 1tbs of yellow and black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 bunch coriander
- Thumb sized piece of fresh turmeric
- Yellow split peas
- Two white onions
- 1 cauliflower
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Thumb sized piece of ginger
- Tin of coconut milk
- Toast the cardamom pods, cinnamon, cumin seed, curry leaves and mustard seeds in a pan over medium heat until they become fragrant.
- Add some oil to the pan as well as the rest of the spices to toast.
- Remove the stalks from the coriander then wash and chop them finely. Grate some fresh turmeric and add it to the pan with the coriander stalks and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the dried split peas to the pan as well as a litre of water then cover and leave to cook.
- Slice the onions and fry them in a pan with some olive oil until they have caramelised.
- While the onions are caramelising, chop the cauliflower into florets, toss with olive oil and roast until tender.
- Finely dice the garlic and ginger and add to the pan with the onions. Once they’re caramelised add the contents of the pan to the pot with the split peas and spices.
- Add the coconut milk as well as the roasted cauliflower and give everything a good stir.
- Finish off the curry by mixing in the coriander leaves chopped and serve.
Post source: Daily mail