Russell Brand faced further allegations from another woman last night who claimed the comedian jumped on her while in a limo, ripped holes in her tights and refused to order a taxi for her until she performed a sex act.
Eight women have now made a string of accusations against the comedian, including rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse, which he has vehemently denied, claiming all relationships were consensual.
The latest accusation came just hours before the under fire star broke his silence for the first time since the allegations emerged last weekend, announcing he had an ‘extraordinary and distressing week’.
In the rambling three minute clip that was posted to Instagram, YouTube and Twitter, now known as X, Brand, 48, thanked his fans for their ‘support and for questioning’ reports that had been made.
He went on to accuse the British government of demanding that big technology platforms censor his online content and took a swipe at his former employer the BBC for its ‘trust news initiative’ that tackles fake news.
Brand then encouraged his supporters to cash in and follow him to the online video platform Rumble – where subscribers pay a minimum $60 (£48) fee to watch – as he vowed to release a new video attacking mainstream media organistions.
Russell Brand has broken his silence claiming he has faced an ‘extraordinary and distressing week’ after being accused of rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse
Eight women have now made a string of accusations against the comedian, including rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse, which he has denied
Brand was last seen in public on Saturday, following a live gig at a Wembley Park theatre. His show has since been postponed
The shocking allegations made against Brand are said to have taken place during the height of his fame between 2003 and 2013.
The first accusations came to light last Saturday following a four-year-long joint investigation by The Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches.
Four women came forward, including one who claimed Brand raped her against the wall of his Los Angeles home in 2013. Another woman alleged he sexually assaulted when she was 16-years-old and still at school.
In the wake of the scandal, a fifth woman filed a report to the Metropolitan Police, claiming she was sexually assaulted by the star in Soho, London, in 2003. The force are investigating the claims.
A sixth woman accused Brand of locking her in a dressing room and pinning her to sofa with a ‘glazed’ look on his face. The alleged incident, as reported in The Sun, was said to have taken place in 2008 when the comic was 33, after a gig in West London.
On Thursday a seventh woman came forward claiming Brand exposed himself to her in an office where BBC Los Angeles operated from in 2008, before going to pre-record a programme for Radio 2 where he appeared to joke about the alleged incident.
And last night, an eighth woman, who was named Sarah to protect her identity, claimed the comic had left her feeling ‘vulnerable and intimidated’ after he allegedly refused to get her a taxi until she performed a sex act.
Sarah told Sky News that when she first met Brand on a flight he appeared ‘friendly and charming’ so she accepted his invitation to grab breakfast and go on a walk.
The shocking allegations made against Brand are said to have taken place during the height of his fame between 2003 and 2013
Tonight an eighth woman came forward making allegations against Brand, claiming he made her feel ‘vulnerable and intimadated
But when they got in the car the woman claimed Brand’s behaviour changed. She said: ‘He wasn’t friendly and charming in the limo. He was aggressive and I felt very vulnerable and intimated. He just jumped on me in the limo.’
As they were travelling Sarah alleged Brand jumped and ‘ripped’ holes in the tights she was wearing. She had initially said ‘no’ to his alleged advances, causing the limo driver to turn around.
She told the broadcaster: ‘The limo driver was turning around a few times because I was saying no, but he ripped a hole – more than one hole – in the tights that I was wearing.’
Instead of a walk they were then driven to Brand’s house where she claimed they had consensual sex.
She added: ‘I mean, it was consensual. I didn’t say no but I feel like there’s a fine line between being forced and being coerced, you know, like being in a situation where the only way out is just to get it over and done with and leave.’
Sarah went on to claim that Brand then refused to order her a taxi until she performed oral sex on him.
Eight women have now made a string of accusations against the comedian, including rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse, which he has vehemently denied, claiming all relationships were consensual
Brand’s YouTube account has been suspended from YouTube’s Partner Programme ‘following serious allegations against the creator’, meaning his channel is no longer able to make money from advertising
‘I wanted to leave and I said, “I need to get a taxi”. And he said, “I’m not going to get you a taxi until you do this”, which was a sex act’, Sarah alleged to Sky.
MailOnline has approached Brand’s representatives for comment over the new allegation.
Hours after Sarah’s claims were made public, Brand took to social media for the first time in a week.
In a three-minute video posted late last night to Instagram, X, and YouTube he said: ‘Hello there you awakening wonders, obviously it’s been an extraordinary and distressing week and I thank you very much for your support and for questioning the information that you have been presented with.
‘By now, you’re probably aware that the British government has asked big tech platforms to censor our online content and that some online platforms have complied with that request.
‘What you may not know is that this happens in the context of the online safety bill which is a piece of UK legislation that grants sweeping surveillance and censorship powers and it’s a law that’s already been passed.’
He added: ‘I also don’t imagine that you’ve heard of the trusted news initiative and now, as often is the case when a word like trusted is used as part of an acronym to describe an unelected body, trust is the last thing you should be offering.
‘The trusted news initiative is a collaboration between big tech and legacy media organisations to target, patrol, choke and shut down independent media organisations, like this one.’
It comes as a former comedian who once worked with him alleged he had a reputation for becoming ‘angry or a bit nasty’ when his sexual advances were rejected.
Cole Parker, who worked with Brand between 2000 and 2002, claimed that models were often warned by their agents about the comedian.
Parker told BBC’s Newsnight he was ‘surprised’ details were not made public sooner.
Parker said: ‘A lot of the modelling agents would sit down and tell their models, tell their stable, warn them about him.
‘Things like people go back to his house and they fool around and then if they didn’t want to go all the way, he had a reputation for sometimes getting angry or a bit nasty if people wouldn’t sleep with him the first time.’
Russell Brand at the MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles in September 2008. The comedian has denied the allegations made against him
Parker, who has written for Brand and top names including Jimmy Carr, Michael McIntyre and Johnny Vegas, told Newsnight that ‘given the fact that [Brand] was a celebrity, very good-looking man, very funny, he didn’t really need to sort of operate that way.
‘There would have been plenty of people who would have been happy to get themselves involved in a dalliance with him, he didn’t have to go with people who were reluctant to do so.’
Parker also said he felt ‘let down’ by the comedy industry and that if allegations Brand had had a relationship with a 16-year-old had been known at the time, news would have travelled around the circuit ‘like wildfire’.
‘Nobody knew what he was up to, nobody knew his specific dalliances, so how could anyone speak out?’ he said.
The BBC is currently under fire over claims that managers were told in 2019 about the alleged incident where Brand exposed himself to a woman in LA.
No formal action was taken against the comedian at the time but the BBC is now investigating the alleged incident. Brand has not commented on the new claims.
Phillipa Childs, who is head of the broadcasting union Bectu, criticised the BBC for not having a ‘thorough’ investigation taking place immediately, adding if they had been more proactive that ‘we might not be in the situation we’re in now’.
The union chief also said that the issue reflected wider problems in the creative industry, adding that with certain stars ‘the power dynamic is so huge that people feel very concerned about complaining against people who are seen to be powerful online talent’.
After he allegedly exposed himself, he went on to pre-record a show for Radio 2, with his co-host Matt Morgan noting: ‘It’s been 25 minutes since he showed his willy to a lady’
She told the Today programme: ‘It really is surprising and shocking – it should never have been broadcasted.
‘The BBC should have thoroughly investigated the complaint, looked into the circumstances around that particular broadcast and taken action then.
‘Had they done so, we might not be in the situation that we are in now, many years later, looking into various allegations around Russell Brand.’
She called for the broadcasters to review its processes to ‘see whether or no they are fit for purpose’ and whether they ‘properly support complainants and deal with issues in real times’.
The comments comes as Channel 4’s Dispatches investigation editor Alistair Jackson accused the BBC of trying to dodge revealing details about complaints made about the under-fire star.
He told Sky News this morning that the corporation had used ‘Freedom of Information Act law exemption’ to swerve answering questions.
Mr Jackson said: ‘One of the things that is important since the film has been broadcast, only yesterday we see this allegation being made, an allegation in the BBC’s LA Studios or in the surroundings of that.
‘According to that report the BBC were informed about that in 2019.
On Saturday, The Sunday Times and Channel 4 ‘s Dispatches reported allegations of abusive and predatory behaviour including rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse said to have been committed by the comedian between 2006 and 2013
Brand ultimately left the BBC following ‘Sachsgate’, in which he and Jonathan Ross left a vulgar voicemail on the answering machine of Fawlty Towers star Andrew Sachs
‘I think it’s important to remember we offered the BBC to look and see if there had been any complaints.
‘They used an exemption under the Freedom of Information Act laws to not be clear about that in their responses to the programme.
‘They haven’t been clear about that now. Now we learn BBC management were informed about it in 2019.
‘There’s a building case for the BBC and other organisations to tell us what they knew and when.’
The BBC has since launched an investigation into the claims. In a statement, a spokesperson said: ‘We’re very sorry to hear of these allegations and we will look into them.
‘We are conducting a review to look at allegations of this nature and if the woman who has shared her story is willing to speak to us, we would be very keen to hear from her and anyone else who may have information.
‘A key part of the review is to understand what complaints were made at the time, if there was knowledge of Russell Brand’s conduct while he worked on BBC radio, and what was done as a result.
‘We will, of course, speak to the bureau team and anyone who was working there in 2008 as part of this.
‘Further, the director-general has been very clear that some broadcasts from that period were, and are, inexcusable and totally unacceptable, and would never be aired today.’
The Metropolitan Police said they had received a report of an alleged sexual assault in the wake of media allegations about the comedian and actor
Brand still has a presence on video platform Rumble, where his channel has 1.4million followers and he hosts a weekly live show at 5pm BST. His weekly show will return on Monday after not being published on Monday
The corporation is also conducting a review into Brand’s time working at the BBC, during which he presented shows on BBC Radio 6 and Radio 2.
Channel 4 is also conducting its own investigation following the allegations about Brand’s predatory behaviour and said that it has been contacting employees and suppliers as part of its new internal investigation following the claims about Brand.
The scandal has seen Brand’s PR firm MBC PR and talent agency Tavistock Wood remove him from their websites, while his publisher Bluebird suspended their relationship with the comic.
Channel 4 went on to remove all of its programmes linked to Brand on its website, including episodes of The Great British Bake Off and Big Brother’s Big Mouth in which he was featured.
And Netflix has now been urged to remove his comedy special, Re:Birth, from its catalogue.
Brand’s YouTube account has been suspended from YouTube’s Partner Programme ‘following serious allegations against the creator’, meaning his channel is no longer able to make money from advertising.
YouTube added that suspending a creator from the YouTube Partner Programme means they are ‘prohibited from using a new or alternate channel to circumvent our enforcement decision’.
Brand’s PR firm MBC PR and talent agent Tavistock Wood no longer advertise him as a client, and his publisher Bluebird, an imprint of Pan Macmillan, have suspended their relationship. Pictured: Brand with his wife Laura
Brand still has a presence on video platform Rumble, where his channel has 1.4million followers and he hosts a weekly live show at 5pm BST
The comedian released a video last week refuting all the allegations against him. Pictured: Brand leaving the Troubabour Wembley Park theatre after a gig on Saturday night
Brand has around six million subscribers on YouTube, which earn him an estimated £49,000 a month
The clips regularly touch on conspiracy theories, including the idea that the pandemic, the Ukraine war and climate change distract from the activities of the global elite
The remaining shows of his new live show, Bipolarisation, have also been suspended.
Brand still has a presence on video platform Rumble, where his channel has 1.4million followers and he hosts a weekly live show at 5pm BST.
His weekly show will return on Monday after not being published this week.
The Rumble channel description reads: ‘Everybody knows that the old ideas won’t help us. Religion is dead. Capitalism is dead. Communism is dead. Where will the answers of the next century lie? Particularly, when we’re facing a mental health epidemic and ecological meltdown.’
Critics claim Brand has ‘set up a cult’ online to back him since the birth of the Me Too movement in 2017 by giving a platform to conspiracy theories including the idea that the pandemic, the Ukraine war and climate change distract from the activities of the global elite.
Legal experts have also claimed broadcasters could face legal action over Brand’s alleged conduct.
The remaining shows of Brand’s Bipolarisation tour were postponed and the Metropolitan Police said they had received a report of an alleged sexual assault in the wake of media allegations about the comedian and actor
Russell Brand seen at BBC Radio 2 on December 5, 2014 in London. He denies all allegations
Thomas Beale, Partner specialising in Bullying and Harassment claims at Bolt Burdon Kemp, told MailOnline: ‘If the BBC and Channel 4 were aware of the allegations made against Brand, and failed to take action to protect their employees, they could face civil claims in negligence for Brand’s alleged conduct and the psychiatric injuries that he has caused to those individuals.
‘In addition, if Brand’s behaviour amounts to harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, then his former employers could also face civil claims under the Act’.
‘Entertainment platforms such as the BBC and Channel 4 appear to have allowed for Brand’s behaviour to go unnoticed. If investigations conclude that the news channels were aware of the complaints made against Brand, they could face serious repercussions.’
Both YouTube, which hosts Brand’s video channel, and podcasting platform Acast, where his Under The Skin podcast appears, have said he would not make money from advertisements on their sites and apps.
YouTube chief executive Neal Mohan defended the decision in an interview with CBS, saying: ‘If creators have off-platform behaviour or if there’s off-platform news which could be damaging to the broader creator ecosystem, you can be suspended from our modernisation programme.’
Brand’s representatives and the BBC have been approached for comment.
Rape Crisis offers support for those affected by rape and sexual abuse.
You can call them on 0808 802 9999 in England and Wales, 0808 801 0302 in Scotland, and 0800 0246 991 in Northern Ireland, or visit their website at www.rapecrisis.org.uk.
What Russell Brand said in his latest video:
‘Hello there you awakening wonders, obviously it’s been an extraordinary and distressing week and I thank you very much for your support and for questioning the information that you have been presented with.
‘By now, you’re probably aware that the British government has asked big tech platforms to censor our online content and that some online platforms have complied with that request.
‘What you may not know is that this happens in the context of the online safety bill which is a piece of UK legislation that grants sweeping surveillance and censorship powers and it’s a law that’s already been passed.
‘I also don’t imagine that you’ve heard of the trusted news initiative and now, as often is the case when a word like trusted is used as part of an acronym to describe an unelected body, trust is the last thing you should be offering.
‘The trusted news initiative is a collaboration between big tech and legacy media organisations to target, patrol, choke and shut down independent media organisations, like this one.
‘We’ll be talking about that on our show on Monday on Rumble but just to give you an idea on what the TNI is, this is a quote from one of their spokespeople:
“‘Because actually the real rivalry now is not between for example the BBC and CNN globally, it’s actually between all trusted news providers and… digital platforms.”‘