A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after another man was fatally attacked on the grounds of a country manor – where Netflix’s hit show Bridgerton was filmed.
The 28-year-old victim was involved in an assault at the National Trust’s Belton House in Lincolnshire on Thursday, Lincolnshire Police said.
The man had returned home after the incident but later became unwell and died.
The 29-year-old man, who was arrested, has since been released on bail pending the results of a postmortem.
The police said the fight did not involve any members of staff and volunteers for the National Trust, nor any visitors to Belton House – where the BBC’s 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice was also filmed.
The force said the fight did not involve any members of staff and volunteers for the National Trust, nor any visitors to Belton House. Pictured: The front of Belton House
Lincolnshire Police said the victim was involved in an assault at Belton House in Lincolnshire on Thursday. Picture: A scene from Bridgerton shot in Belton House
The 28-year-old man returned home after the altercation on Thursday at Belton House but later became unwell and died
A police spokesperson said: ‘We are investigating the circumstances of an assault reported to have taken place at Belton House, near Grantham, after the death of a man.
‘Officers received a report than an altercation had taken place at the property yesterday.
‘A 28-year-old man was reportedly involved in an altercation before returning home, where he later became unwell and sadly died.
The police are keeping an ‘open mind’ in the investigation into the incident which is understood to have happened in an area not open to the public.
A spokesperson said: ‘We are keeping an open mind into the circumstances of his death and investigators are following a number of lines of enquiry, including an area in the grounds of Belton House where this is believed to have taken place.
‘This is not in the public spaces, and it is believed the people involved knew each other.
‘The incident did not involve any members of staff and volunteers for the National Trust, nor any visitors to Belton House.
A man, 29, has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a 28-year-old man died following reports of an ‘altercation’ in the grounds of a National Trust country house. Pictured: The rear of Belton House
‘Officers and forensic investigators will remain on scene at the property for at least the next day while they conduct initial enquiries.
They added that a 29-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of murder but has been released on bail pending a postmortem.
Belton House is a listed grade 1 building and was designed by William Winde and built between 1685 and 1688 by William Stanton.
It is marketed by the National Trust as ‘the perfect English country house’, and boasts a spectacular Christmas lights display.
When Lord Brownlow died in 1978, his son Edward John Peregrine became the seventh baron.
In 1984 he gave Belton House, its garden and garden sculpture to the National Trust which then bought the park of 1317 acres.