Joao Cancelo allegedly blocked a number of Manchester City fan pages on Twitter ahead of his loan move to Bayern Munich.
However, despite going through what could be a bitter end to his time at the Etihad, the Portuguese ace posted a heartfelt farewell message on his Instagram.
On Monday, several Man City fan accounts with large followings said they have been blocked by the defender on Twitter and Instagram.
“Update: Joao Cancelo has blocked us on Instagram,” @mcfc_lads with almost 130,000 followers posted.
The Portugal international had fallen out of favour under boss Pep Guardiola in recent weeks after being an unused substitute in the last three games.
Despite earning himself the reputation of being one of the league’s best players and signing a new contract under a year ago, Cancelo has found himself behind Nathan Ake and Rico Lewis in the pecking order.
The 28-year-old has made 154 appearances for Man City after signing in 2019 and has won two Premier League titles and two League Cups.
On Tuesday, Man City then confirmed the loan deal had been signed.
Chelsea’s £88m man Mudryk lasts just 45 minutes in Fulham stalemate due to ‘heavy cold’
Greenwood latest, Conte return update after surgery, Potter cuts Aubameyang from UCL squad
Ozil ‘to quit football’ with ex-Arsenal star set to terminate deal at third straight club
Ince reveals how Ten Hag and Man United staff ‘lacked respect’ after FA Cup clash
Ten Hag fields questions about Greenwood and his Man United future in press conference
Simon Jordan explains why Man United may have grounds to sack Mason Greenwood
In what could be interpreted as a rather blunt statement, it read: “Joao Cancelo has joined Bayern Munich on loan until the end of the season,” a statement on the club’s website said.
“The 28-year-old joined City from Juventus in 2019, following spells in Spain and his native Portugal.
“The Portuguese has now moved to Germany to join the Bundesliga outfit for the remainder of the 2022/23 campaign.”
talkSPORT understands the deal includes an option to buy worth £61.5million.
And despite blocking the fan accounts, Cancelo gave a heartfelt farewell on his Instagram, seemingly suggesting this may be the end of his Man City career.
“Once a Cityzen, always a Cityzen. Thank you #mommybless me,” he wrote, alongside a video montage of his time at the Etihad.
Cancelo also moved to rubbish any suggestion he was leaving because of Guardiola.
Rumours had circulated the pair had a bust-up and the player addressed these reports in his first press conference as a Bayern player.
“There was a lot of speculation about my relationship with Pep Guardiola,” he said.
“But the truth is that I just wanted to get more playing minutes. And I see that opportunity at Bayern.
“I didn’t ask Pep Guardiola about Bayern Munich, everything happened too quickly for that. I feel ready to start straight away. I’d like to put on the Bayern shirt and get going as soon as possible.
“First of all, I want to focus on my goals and those of the club. Then we’ll sit down and see what’s next.
“I’ve had a great time at Manchester City, it’s always been there much appreciated. I’m still under contract with City too.”