One person is confirmed dead in the chaotic incident that took place at the end of the Victory Parade.

Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City said they were treating 12 patients, 11 of them children, after the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory celebration ended in gunfire and chaos Wednesday afternoon.

Hospital officials said nine of the children had gunshot wounds and that all of the children are expected to recover, KMBC reported. The range in age of the children victims is 6-15.

As CrimeOnline reported, the shooting happened just before 4:30 p.m. near a parking garage just west of Union Station as the parade ended.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves confirmed that one person was killed in the shooting. Police detained three armed suspects, and video showed bystanders taking down one of them before police arrived to take him into custody.

“I’m angry at what happened today,” Graves said. “The people who came to this celebration should expect a safe environment. We had over 800 law enforcement officers at this location.”

University Health told KMBC it was treating eight gunshot victims, with two of them in critical condition. Four others were hospitalized with injuries not related to gunfire.

St. Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City told The Associated Press St. Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City received one gunshot patient in critical condition and three walk-in patients with injuries that were not life- threatening, spokesperson Laurel Gifford said. it received on gunshot victim in critical condition and three walk-ins whose injuries were not life-threatening. Hospital spokesperson Laurel Gifford did not say if those three people were shot.

A total number of victims has not been determined, but the three hospitals were reported to be treating at least 18 gunshot victims. Graves later said there were 22 victims but did not say how many were gunshot victims.

A woman is taken to an ambulance after a shooting following the Kansas City Chiefs NFL football Super Bowl celebration. (AP Photo/Reed Hoffmann)

According to the Kansas City Star, Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a Johnson County mom of two and beloved host of “Tejana Tuesday” on community radio station KKFI, was killed in the shooting. Lopez-Galvan, in her 40s, as the mother of two adult children, one of whom was wounded in the shooting along with two cousins, The Star said. The cousins are believed to be children.

The Star initially said Lopez-Galvan died during surgery at University Health after Graves’ press conference confirming one fatality, but police still say only one fatality. The names of other victims have not been released.

Chiefs trainer Rick Burkholder told the Associated Press that the team was on buses when gunfire began, and Sports Illustrated NFL Insider Albert Breer said some of the players helped calm children in the wake of the shooting.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

[Featured image: The aftermath of Wednesday’s shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs’ victory celebration. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)]

Post source: Crime Online

You May Also Like

Émile Soleil’s Murder Mystery: Recent Discovery of Toddler’s Bones in Previously Searched Area

The case of Emile Soleil, a two-year-old boy who disappeared from a…